Welcome to my Blogspot!!

Please do not hesitate to post any comments...

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Sunday Soul Service

Well, I'm up and about on this fine Sunday morning. Coffee is good...my cat Missy is nestled on my lap, and I am looking forward to another fine day of music at the Sunday Soul Service. It amazes me how far this jam has progressed. Not many people remember that this jam room was christened many, many years ago. As we approach the anniversary of our Sunday jam (7 years in April), I can't help but think back on the humble beginnings. It was the Ottewell Pub at the time, and I did a Monday night jam for what turned out to be seven-plus years. I remember when it first started, and telling the owners, Clark and Fadi, that this would take time to build. It did....I played by myself for nearly three months until my first jammer came to play. His name was John, and he brought his accordion to play, of all things, German hymns. The irony is not lost on me...welcome to heaven, here's your harp...welcome to hell, here's your accordion. The cool part is that John still comes to the jam, and continues to practise his accordion with hopes of a repeat performance. He will always have a spot, and will not be forgotten. That has been the premise all along...everybody gets to play, regardless of their ability.

Now, 14 plus years later, we are blessed with many awesome musicians who come to play on a regular basis, and appreciative crowds each and every week. People ask me now, after playing music professionally for nearly 35 years, if the dream is still alive. The obvious answer is that "the dream never dies, just the dreamer". However, you do become more realistic. When I first started as a pro, my career was predicated by watching the likes of Winston Quelch form One Horse Blue, Doug Jensen from Jenson Interceptor, Brent Mcnab from the Models, Stu Mitchell and many more of the local legends who I idolized at the time. These great musicians are now my friends, and I get to play, write and record with them all the time. When I think about them, and all of the great fans in this wonderful city, my answer has to change...I've already made it...
See you at "church"...Cheers...

No comments:

Post a Comment